Open PhD Positions
Ph.D. Thesis in Chemical Biology: Antimicrobial Peptides
A graduate student positions is open starting 2017 to carry out a Ph.D. thesis in chemical biology. Applicants must hold a Master’s degree in Chemistry of Biochemistry and have interest in interdisciplinary work involving synthesis, biophysical studies and bioactivity testing. The work takes places within the NRP72 research program of the SNF.
The research project focuses on antimicrobial peptide dendrimers against multidrug resistant Gram negative bacteria. Recent publications of the group on this topic:
225. Combining Topology and Sequence Design for the Discovery of Potent Antimicrobial Peptide Dendrimers against Multidrug-Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Stach M, Siriwardena TN, Köhler T, van Delden C, Darbre T, Reymond JL, Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2014, 53, 12827-12831.
238. In Vitro Activity of a Novel Antimicrobial Peptide Dendrimer (G3KL) Against Multidrug-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Pires, T N Siriwardena, M Stach, R Tinguely, S Kasraian, F Luzzaro, S L Leib, T Darbre, JL Reymond, A Endimiani, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother., 2015, 59, 7915-7918.
240. Overcoming antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms using glycopeptide dendrimers. G. Michaud, R. Visini, M. Bergmann, G. Salerno, R. Bosco, E. Gillon, B. Richichi, C. Nativi, A. Imberty, A. Stocker, T. Darbre, JL Reymond, Chem. Sci., 2016, 7, 166-182.
Ph. D. Thesis in Cheminformatics
A graduate student position is open starting 2017 to carry out a Ph.D. thesis in cheminformatics. Applicants must hold a Master's degree in chemistry, biochemistry, informatics, mathematics, or related areas, and have a strong interest in computational work, including programming and data management.
The project involves exploration of chemical space by enumeration and mapping of very large databases such as the "chemical universe database" GDB, the largest virtual fragment collection for drug discovery developed by our group. Recent publications of the group on this topic:
200. Visualization and Virtual Screening of the Chemical Universe Database GDB-17. L. Ruddigkeit, L. C. Blum, J.-L. Reymond, J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2013, 53, 56-65.
237. PDB-Explorer: a Web-Based Interactive Map of the Protein Data Bank in Shape Space. X Jin, M Awale, M Zasso, D Kostro, L Patiny, JL Reymond, BMC Bioinform., 2015, 16, 339.
244. Web-based 3D-visualization of the DrugBank chemical space Awale M and Reymond JL, J. Cheminform., 2016, doi:10.1186/s13321-016-0138-2.
General information to the Ph.D. student positions
The positions are funded as Swiss National Science Foundation level for a maximum of 4 years (completion of the thesis is expected in 3-4 years). Participation in the DCB graduate program (attendance of seminars, group seminars, summer schools and international conferences) and to teaching (approx 28 days per years in laboratory courses) is required.
For further information and applications, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.